Friday, September 26, 2008

A note on sources

Many of these posts were written in response to news items in local papers, over a number of years. I'm sending them up, as is, because I think they illustrate particular aspects of cycling - at least as a form of driving - that need our attention. 
The Motor Vehicle Act (Revised Statutes of British Columbia, 1996, Chapter  318) is the governing legislation I drive under - whether by bike or car. It mandates the use of helmets by all cyclists, at all times. It requires us to light up, during hours of darkness - or at any other time when, in my opinion as operator, it would be prudent and necessary. It requires both head and tail light to be fixed to the bike - white aimed forward, and red back - and permits me to use a blinking light "that is of a design approved by ICBC". (To my knowledge, though I've not specifically researched this, ICBC - the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia - the Crown Corporation who is our primary insurer on the roads - ALL drivers must purchase basic minimum insurance through them - has not yet signed off any tail-light designs as specifically meeting requirements.) The Act specifically states that a cyclist "has all the rights and privileges of a driver", and then goes on to enumerate a few things specifically for ourselves - lighting and helmets being the brunt of the matter.
This last is good, though it is marred, in my view, by the section of definitions, that specifically removes the bicycle from the definition of a vehicle. As an aside - how one can be a driver, when one is NOT driving a vehicle is a legal conundrum beyond my powers of logic. The only thing I can figure, is that, since the primary thrust of the act is concerned with MOTOR vehicles, whenever one says vehicle, one assumes it is motorised, that the descriptive adjective is redundant. I far prefer the Ontario Statute, where a bicycle is still defined as a vehicle, and, under one clause is specifically permitted to be away from the curb, and at the centre-line, when approaching a left turn into another street, or into a driveway. Otherwise the two acts are almost identical. 
I grew up in Ontario, but moved out to this coast in the mid-60's. I've no desire to leave, thanks to an equable climate that allows and encourages riding all year round.
So - when I cite my local legislation, I specifically invite YOU, gentle reader, to do likewise, wherever you live. Know your local laws. That way, you will have some basis for your claims, when you have to complain to police.
I'd be glad to help compare local laws, if you would be so kind as to send me back links, so that I can check them myself. No, it's not (quite) a nasty, suspicious mind. I took my degree in Linguistics, but my study love has always been History. One thing one learns, or should, in getting a basic undergraduate degree is HOW to study, how to master a subject, how to research and interpret what one has found, and how to present it, to make sense of something, for someone else for whom it is just another essay. That's, really, all I'm trying to do here.

No comments: